The Importance of Beauty

July 22nd, 2009 · 7 Comments

Sunset June 09 (c) Karen Wallace

Sometimes we really are too busy to notice the beauty, hear the melody or appreciate a fine turn of phrase, aren’t we?

Sometimes we’re even too busy to notice a certain look in the eyes of someone we love. A look that says I Love You.

But it’s those very things, the sunrise that takes your breath away, the beautiful strains of your favourite concerto (played loud), the words of a dear friend or the look of love in the eyes of one so dear.

I strongly believe that surrounding yourself with beauty – and taking the time to notice – enriches your life beyond measure.

The other day, on my almost-daily run between home and horse, I was struck between the eyes by the beautiful sunset to my left across the paddocks. I pulled the car over, grabbed my camera (saying a quick thank you that I had it with me), and reveled in the beauty of the sun, the trees, the paddocks and the simple beauty of the scene. The photo above is one of many… taken just as the light was fading between two big, old gums.

Does beauty enrich your life?

Tags: Getting Still · Heart and Home

• 1 Beth // Jul 23, 2009 at 7:53 am

I love that it only takes a moment to notice and enjoy, yet the effects of beauty last.

I’ve made a habit of looking around my yard to see what’s blooming, etc. every day before I go back into the house.

• 2 karen // Jul 24, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Thanks Beth! I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and leave a comment. So, what is blooming in your yard at this time of year?

The beautiful effects of your comment are lasting too… :)

• 3 Beth // Jul 25, 2009 at 12:03 am

Right now I have purple clematis in full bloom, read and white snapdragons, tiger lilies and the red hibiscus is ready to pop out.

I imagine it is not blooming weather right now for you is it?

• 4 Karen Swim // Jul 27, 2009 at 8:50 am

Your post captures the majesty of the beauty that surrounds us daily. It is always there in the rising and setting of the sun, in the birds flying overhead, even in blades of grass. When we take the time to notice it does indeed calm the mind and spirit and remind us to look, listen and be grateful daily. Thank you for the post and the glorious reminder that life offers much to celebrate.

• 5 karen // Jul 27, 2009 at 10:54 am

Those flowers sound like bliss, Beth! Tiger lillies are one of my favourites, but I’ve never had any luck growing them. Here in Brisbane you’re right – not a lot is flowering, except my orchid which has a dozen flower spikes this year.

Thanks for sharing your joy in your garden with us!

• 6 karen // Jul 27, 2009 at 11:46 am

Karen, wow – you got all that from my post? ; )

No matter what is happening, there is definitely always cause for celebration and gratitude – here’s to noticing beauty and relishing life! Thank you my friend.

• 7 Marina // Aug 28, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Ironically, my favourite part of my day is washing up – I have a fabulous view and late afternoon – a wonderful sunset to keep me distracted from my chores.
    I figure this is a wonderful gift we get most days – a brilliant way to start and finish our days.